Thursday, January 19, 2017

Choose Our Adventure

When I was little, I used to read the Choose-Your-Own-Adventure books.  

Sally was being chased by a dragon, when she came to a cliff. If Sally jumped off the cliff, turn to page 95. If Sally stayed to fight, turn to page 3. 

I would cheat and turn to both pages to see which outcome I preferred before choosing my action and very often would have multiple scenarios running at the same time. As as we all know, real life doesn’t quite work like that. We have to commit to our decisions and take whatever comes when we turn the page. 

With that in mind, we have been trying to decide what direction we are going to take this year. It has been a few years but we will FINALLY have an entire cruising season with Batty. While we have a few boat jobs to get done once we are reunited, we hope to be underway in no time. With so many amazing options in our backyard, we are having a hard time choosing. We would love to hear any other options we should consider and any opinions, positive or negative. 
The criteria for choosing where we are going are short and easy sails, easy land access, fun and new & exciting. It’s important to note that Batty is bluewater ready and we will be starting the season with a 10 month old on board.

The options:

Stay Where We are - Batty is currently in Townsville and cruising around that area would include Magnetic Island, the Palm Islands, Orpheus Island and several more. We have spent lots of time at Maggie and stopped at the other islands on our way up to Cairns several years ago.

Head North - In our journeys with Batty, the farthest north we have been is Cairns. There are lots of places to stop along the way to Cairns and lots to see further north. 

Head South - We would need to get going just before the season starts to be sure we still have northerlies to get south. Destination would be the Whitsundays. We spent last summer in the Whitsundays and have been there on other occasions as well. 

New Caledonia and Vanuatu - This would involve a much longer initial sail to get there but once we were there… oh man! We would need to be back at the boat earlier then we are currently planning as we need to go much further south (Brisbane) we need to go before heading east. None of us have been here. 


That’s it. All our options… well as least the ones we are considering. 

Thoughts? Questions? Other ideas? 

We would love to hear them!


  1. California is great this time of year!!

  2. Choose the most challenging. You won't always be in this mindset so grab the opportunity while it has presented itself.

    1. New Cal would definitely be challenging but amazing! Doesn't look like we will make it there this season though unfortunately! Thank you for your insight!

  3. +1 what Steve said.

  4. What about Norfolk Island & Tassie while the cyclone season is about?

    1. That's definitely an option during next cyclone season!